However, the SEMA Show is still moving forward despite the fact the U.S. is experiencing a second wave of infections.
Just last month, organizers announced “thousands of exhibitors and attendees are registered and planning to attend the 2020 SEMA Show,” scheduled to take place in November at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
At the time, SEMA’s Vice President of Events Tom Gattuso said, “We are steadfast in our belief that our members and our industry will recover more quickly from the current climate by safely coming together to share ideas and look ahead to strategize for 2021 and beyond.”
He went on to describe this year’s show as “one of the hardest events we have produced,” but also “among the most gratifying.”
More recently, SEMA said the show is still scheduled for November and they’re “working closely with the state of Nevada and local health officials, and are in communication with experts on safety protocols to provide show goers with a safe, productive and successful show.”
Among the safety measures being discussed are “social density concepts like directional traffic flow and distancing measures” as well as the use of face masks. That’s on top of increased cleaning, reduced touch points and streamlined food services with touchless and cashless transactions.
Of course, SEMA has acknowledged the situation is “very fluid” and things could potentially change. However, they’re promising to keep people informed with regular updates throughout the summer and into September.
That’s probably a wise decision as some states have been reporting more than 10,000 new cases of COVID-19 daily. Nevada isn’t as hard hit as California or Florida, but its Department of Health and Human Services confirmed 849 new cases of COVID-19 on July 15. That brings the state’s total number of confirmed cases to 30,468 and the number of new daily cases has been trending upwards since mid-June.