Nashville is bracing for winter amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with cold temperatures, indoor gatherings and flu season compounding concerns.
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) announced Nov. 10 it will extend its loan of a 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV) to the Community Resource Center (CRC) for an additional six months, allowing CRC staff and volunteers the flexibility needed to deliver essential supplies directly to families and nonprofits in need across Middle Tennessee.
"In a year when so much seems out of our control, Mitsubishi Motors committed to doing what we can to make our Middle Tennessee community safer and stronger," said MMNA COO Mark Chaffin. "The Community Resource Center has been at the heart of disaster response efforts since day one, and we are proud to continue supporting their important work with the reliability and efficiency of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV."
The partnership between MMNA and the CRC began in March, following a devastating tornado outbreak across Middle Tennessee, and has continued throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
With a flexible cargo space and the ability to travel up to 22 miles on all-electric power before switching over to its 2.0-liter gasoline engine, the Outlander PHEV has been used by the CRC since March for the following:
- Delivery of hygiene kits and cleaning supplies to some of the CRC's more than 100 nonprofit partners, including The Store, a year-round free grocery store; St. Luke's Community House, which serves seniors with disabilities; and Project Connect Nashville, which serves individuals stuck in the cycle of poverty.
- Delivery of household goods to Nashville tornado victims, including mattresses, bed frames, clothing, groceries, hygiene kits and cleaning supplies.
- Pickup of COVID and tornado relief supplies such as groceries, clothing, blankets and shoes from area stores and donations from local businesses.
- Shuttling of supplies back and forth from donation centers and CRC warehouses.
- In partnership with Mitsubishi headquarters staff and vehicle fleet, delivery of more than 6,000 plus teacher PPE kits to 135 Metro Nashville Public Schools.
The CRC provides new household goods, bedding, kitchenware, cleaning supplies, clothing and personal hygiene items...