fbpx
Monday, 13 July 2020 20:03

‘Now & Then’ Series Features Post Garage Company in Middletown, NY

Written by Donna Kessler, Times Herald-Record
Interior of Post Garage Interior of Post Garage

Erica Carr of Wolf Lake, NY, submitted postcards, from around 1926 to 1928, showing photos of Post Garage Co., Inc., that was at 88-92 West Main Street in Middletown.

Later the building became a Cadillac Garage, and today it is Star Collision Center.

 

Middletown’s first physician, Dr. David Hanford (1786-1844), came to Middletown in 1810. He helped to bring the Erie Railroad to Middletown in 1843 and was a founder of the Wallkill Academy, Middletown’s first institution of higher learning.

 

In 1823 he purchased from Elisha Corwin 47 acres of land and built a house on the corner of what is now Hanford and West Main streets.

 

In 1914, Dr. Hanford’s former home was purchased to build the Post Garage and moved a bit up Hanford Street. The house was eventually torn down in 1959. 

 

Post Garage Company, originally known as Hotel Brown Garage Company, was located in a brick building on Henry Street behind the Hotel Brown, which later became the Mitchell Inn, which once stood on James Street, where First Federal is today.
 
The Henry Street location had become too small for the business, and construction of a larger building began around July 1, 1914. Architect of the building was David H. Canfield, who had also designed City Hall on James Street. 

 

The building measured 191 feet along West Main Street and 142 feet along Hanford Street. All in all, the building had about 25,000 square feet of floor space. The company moved into the building in November of 1914, but it wasn’t completed until the end of the year. 

 

Besides car repair, Post’s sold new and used cars and offered a car service as well. The building cost about $20,000 to build.

 

James Brady Post, founder of the company, died Sept. 7, 1944, in a boating accident. Many older residents may remember the building as housing Krogslund Motors, Inc., which sold Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles and used cars and did car servicing. 

 

History contributed by City of Middletown Historian Peter Laskaris.

 

We thank the Times Herald-Record for reprint permission. 

Read 1155 times