Buying a new family car is a task brimming with important considerations, from lifestyle needs and budget concerns to passenger safety and comfort.
To help narrow down the consideration set, the experts at Kelley Blue Book named the Best Family Cars of 2021 to aid parents in deciding which new vehicle best suits their family.
"When it comes to buying a car for a new or growing family, parents understandably want assurance that their vehicle has outstanding safety and technology features to help protect their precious cargo," said Matt DeLorenzo, senior managing editor for Kelley Blue Book. "We also know budget factors are top-of-mind for families, so we place a heavy emphasis on overall value including purchase and ownership costs through Kelley Blue Book's Fair Purchase Price and 5-Year Cost to Own information."
The Best Family Cars of 2021 include two- and three-row crossover SUVs offering the passenger and cargo-carrying capacity that make them go-to choices, and full-size SUVs/minivans that hold appeal for their roominess and flexibility.
This annual list features top recommendations based on in-depth testing with a focus on safety, overall value, connectivity, technology and driver-assist features.
Best Two-Row SUVs for Families (listed in alphabetical order)
- 2021 Honda CR-V: With a mix of practicality, pricing, space, safety, reliability and resale prowess, it's no real surprise that the Honda CR-V is on our list again this year.
- 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe: The Santa Fe is on the list for the second year in a row because it is comfortable, fuel-efficient and comes nicely equipped regardless of trim level.
- 2021 Toyota RAV4: The Toyota RAV4 has long been known as a roomy, practical, reliable compact SUV that places a high priority on safety, and the current generation adds a serious helping of excitement.
Best Three-Row SUVs for Families (listed in alphabetical order)
- 2021 Honda Pilot: The Honda Pilot is a tried-and-true midsize three-row SUV that offers roomy versatility, reliability and a very strong resale value.
- 2021 Hyundai Palisade: The Hyundai Palisade packs plenty of panache and seats up to eight passengers in a comfortable, good-looking, three-row SUV package.
- 2021 Kia Telluride: The Kia Telluride was designed with the right combination of value, space, safety and convenience to make it a tough competitor in the heavily populated midsize SUV segment.
- 2021 Toyota Highlander: For families who need a practical vehicle with plenty of seating, but just don't want a minivan, the Toyota Highlander is one of the most family-friendly SUVs available.