fbpx
Wednesday, 17 February 2021 20:49

Tesla Built 8 of Every 10 EVs Registered in the U.S. in 2020

Written by Joey Klender, Teslarati

Index

Share This:

 

Out of every 10 electric cars registered in the U.S. in 2020, nearly eight were built by Tesla.

New data from Automotive News shows Tesla owned 79% of the total EVs registered in the U.S. in 2020, leaving only 21% for the other manufacturers to divide up between themselves.

 

Tesla’s four currently-offered electric cars took four of the top five spots. While the Chevy Bolt EV took third, the Model 3, Model Y, Model X and Model S took first, second, fourth and fifth place, respectively.

 

It is no secret Tesla has dominated the EV sector across the world, with its industry-leading software, battery tech and performance specifications.

 

Tesla’s dominant charge in the U.S. was led by the Model 3, as it was registered 95,135 times in 2020, according to the data. The Model Y came in second with 71,344, the Model X in fourth with 19,652, and the Model S in fifth with 14,430.

 

It is no surprise the Model 3 and Model Y, Tesla’s two most affordable cars, dominated the table. The third-place Chevy Bolt EV trailed the second-place Model Y by 51,680 units, making it a head-and-shoulders lead by the two Tesla vehicles.

 

The Model Y and Model 3 are comparable, with the same overall look and interior design; one is just slightly more prominent, as the Y is a crossover.

 

The Model 3 sedan is the most popular EV globally, due to its affordability, versatility and three offered variants.

 

Tesla saw a 16% increase in vehicle registrations in 2020 compared to 2019. With more cars being offered, it is no surprise that there is some growth in terms of the U.S. market.

 

The Model Y finally gave Tesla the chance to compete in a highly-competitive crossover SUV market. With more people under the impression electric powertrains are the way to go, Tesla shouldn’t see any declines for the foreseeable future.

 

The company will deal with increased demand through...


Previous Page Continue reading »

Read 221 times