The Collision Repair Education Foundation (CREF) is seeking additional teams to compete in its inaugural Top Tech Mentor/Mentee Competition being held on Saturday, Sept. 28 at Ranken Technical College in St. Louis.
Currently, the competition consists of teams from large national MSOs, including Caliber, Gerber and Service King, but CREF “hopes to really diversify that,” says Christen Battaglia, director of strategic partnerships for CREF.
“The only requirements are that the mentee has to be at least 18 years old and has to be currently enrolled in a technical program or have attended one within the past two years,” Battaglia adds.
Shelly Jones of Performance Sales Solutions is heading up the event’s volunteer committee, and she shares, “I’m really excited about this competition as it spotlights how important a mentor role is in the collision shop. We are expecting a full day of activities from morning registration to evening awards banquet.”
Companies with mentoring programs can enter their mentor/mentee team to compete against other shops’ teams on competencies necessary for an entry-level tech. CREF hopes to have ten to 15 teams competing at four testing stations. CREF’s goals for the event are to improve employee retention, develop the next generation of mentors, encourage more mentoring within the industry and recognize mentors.
The list of competencies for the competition, comprised based on industry standards, calls for the mentee to be proficient in the following:
- Moving and staging vehicles,
- Shop organization and clean up,
- Safety and how to use personal equipment,
- Placement of keys/work orders during repairs,
- Damage analysis,
- Supplement writing, ability to read and understand the manufacturer’s guidelines (AllData),
- Disassembly and reassembly, part/hardware organization,
- Nut, bolt and clip recognition,
- Ability to inspect work and QC,
- Checking lights, sensors and functions,
- Final vehicle checks,
- How to identify and remedy wind, water and air leaks,
- Electrical testing of circuits and wiring repair,
- Corrosion protection,
- Removing spot welds,
- Draining radiators and discharging ac systems; Vacuum filling radiators and charging ac systems,
- Set up and measure on frame rack and floor pull set up,
- Tram measuring and reading/following manufacturers measurement specifications,
- Repairing bumpers,
- Sheet metal adjustment and fit,
- Small dings and dents,Previous Page Next Page »