Thursday, 26 July 2012 11:06

Problem on the IN-Side

Written by Gonzo Weaver


I pulled #1 spark plug.  It was bone dry, actually “very dry” and “very hot.”  Exhaust gasses, I’ll bet.  I let the car sit for about another 15 minutes and tried it again.  A quick turn of the key and it ran like new just as before, but this time I was ready for it. I had it hooked up to the scanner and checked out the O2 sensor readings. It was just as I suspected. The front O2 readings were a complete mess. There was no pretty oscillating wave going up and down on the screen, more like a jagged old saw blade with half its teeth missing.  I watched the scope patterns for several minutes, soon the engine started to cough and die just as it did before.   I checked the compression this time.  Well over 200 PSI, yikes! Looks like all those misfires added up to a lot of raw gas going into the converter.  With all the plugs firing now the converter was only getting even more cooked than before.

I filled Katie in on everything I had found.  She can handle it from here. I was expecting Katie to come out and tell me to order a converter, or send it to the exhaust shop, or drop what I’m doing because it was going to be more than she wanted to spend on it… something like that, but that didn’t happen. Somehow the word “IN” had more meaning to it than originally intended.

Before I knew it a call came from Stacey, she was going to have a new engine installed. Huh? I didn’t know I was putting a motor in.  think I missed something here. So how in the world did a clogged converter turn into a new engine?

It was the very first thing Katie had told Stacey. Katie said to her, “He found coolant in the spark plug area.” Even though she mentioned that I blew off all the coolant that was on the sparkplugs, somehow it got turned into a leaking head gasket. (I think the guys at the body shop were helping out with the diagnostics.) It took the better part of the afternoon to get the whole thing straightened out.

Katie asked Stacey how the coolant ended up in the spark plug area. It was from a coolant hose that had split about two weeks earlier. Stacey’s daughter had someone change the hose for her, but they never thought about looking for any coolant getting trapped on top of the engine. My guess is it probably took a day or so before it ever started to miss. About then the service light would have come on and the real trouble would have started to build.  I’ll bet she drove around with it misfiring for a week or so before she told her mom how bad it was.

Katie explained the mix-up to me and how everyone had the wrong idea about the engine’s condition. I can’t blame anyone for all of this. In most cases, when someone hears there is coolant “in” the engine they assume it’s a bad deal and most likely in the combustion chamber causing major problems.  Well, in this case, it was only “ON” the engine and not “IN” the engine.  A new converter installed and everything is back “IN” great shape again.

I’ve got to make a point of explaining things a little better next time. My bad, I made the assumption that everyone knew what I meant when I said there was coolant in the spark plug area. (I should have said “On top of the engine”). Katie knew what I meant, but as the phone conversations went on, the word “IN” just kept pushing the coolant deeper and deeper inside this little Ford. Katie is a wonderful gal, I got to hand it to her; she did a great job of explaining things. I’m a lucky guy to be able to work with my daughter in a family business, and even luckier to have her as an asset “IN” the office, especially when she can explain things to a customer and get good old dad “OUT” of a jam.


« Previous Page Continue reading

Last modified on Tuesday, 27 June 2017 16:09
More in this category: « Take it to the Dealer!